Sunday, October 30, 2011

In Response to~Sepia-Saturday-98-Saturday-29th-October 2011

I heard stories of my family travelling on horses as we were inhabitants of the mountain valleys of Kashmir.A bride had to ride a horse to reach her destined home.I also heard about donkeys carrying loads and people covering distances on foot and later on bicycles.Then I found myself in a new country with new cars and as a child of five or six I had had a ride in Chevrolet.In old photographs I discovered these special photographs and they prove the love and popularity of the new travelling inventions.
My Father with his official vehicle as Director Medical Services Northern Areas Pakistan
Willy's Jeep 1950s 
My sister Rashda (now Dr Rashda Firdaus MD Cleveland)in front of a Morris Oxford in the 1950s at Rawalpindi.The car belonged to Dr Shafiqur Rehman one of father's class fellows and friends, a frequent visitor.

We four sisters  at Gilgit in the 1960s with Toyota Jeep CJ5 .The only vehicle suitable for travel on the roads in the Northern Areas of Pakistan.Father was posted as Armed Forces Agency Surgeon and we are all set to leave on a trip for distributing medicines and clothes to the local people.

6 comments:

sunny said...

Aslam o Alikum mam,beautiful pictures.thanks for sharing,and keep visiting my blog

Bob Scotney said...

Fine pictures of old vehicles linked to your family.

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

you got talent, wow.

Happy Monday.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the Toyota Cj5 was a great vehicle! I wish at times they still made them. Thank you for your post!

Brett Payne said...

Interesting photographs of a combination of location and era that we don't see much of, thank you.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful trip down memory lane~ It sounds & looks quite magical. thank you-

SARA FATIMA MIR- CHILDHOOD FUN