Wednesday, January 13, 2021

For Poets and Story Tellers United ~ Wednesday Weekly Scribblings #52~ With Ref. to Mary Oliver's Poem "Landscape" ~" Manufacturing the Human Connection"

 



 

Recovering from an operation which many people called 'major' I was most of the time thinking about the 'Lt Col' I mean the Surgeon who performed it. Soft and gentle in approach, seeped in concern for pain and alert in attempts to cure wounds and relieve the agony and stress-this is the first impression one gets, at least I got it and instantly I knew that 'She was the One, ordained to touch examine cut and treat my clayey self, bleeding inside and causing pain...and so it happened and The Greatest The Almighty showered His Mercy and sent 'healing'.

'I found the sacred link in this process, the hands that we raise in prayer, the hands that we write with, some where the hands are killers slappers murderers...but these hands were the healing hands and for me meant so much more in relationship.

'My heart weeps and I ask myself, why do I cry? Someone said, “The Doctor did her professional duty, no need to think beyond that”, but I say, “No I found the Human Connection, the silent hidden ocean of devotion and emotion' and when I chanced to hear Ms Lavinia Spalding on TED Forum on the topic: “The Art of Travel Writing”, it was wonderful to hear her views, guidelines and stories, expressing the key lines that, “one has to manufacture the human connection” and this gave me deep satisfaction of being on the right lines. To see my doctor surgeon as an affectionate human with spiritual patience, I felt, I must  acknowledge her work, care and polite attitude even though I paid for the services.

I believe that affection and friendliness has no price and is an inborn thing, not found in many people roaming on this beautiful planet. We have to work on manufacturing lasting relationships with a deep spiritual patience which nurtures compassionate attitudes.

I wish we were humans in the real sense with real care for others for that is the true purpose of life.


3 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I find this deeply moving. I love the clear, thoughtful writing. I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to diminish your appreciation of the doctor's compassionate qualities. There are many ways in which people can do their jobs, and not all doctors are necessarily so concerned for their patients' emotional as well as physical wellbeing – even if ideally they all should be. How wonderful, too, if all patients would be so appreciative as you and so willing to find both the human and spiritual connections.

Magaly Guerrero said...

All relationships require work. Some must be redefined--or "manufactured"--in order to be truly understood. I can so relate with the piece. I spend so much time in the company of doctors--some are open and friendly, others seem to stay hidden in the trappings of their work... Most times it is up to up to take the time to understand how they care.

rallentanda said...

Indeed there are few but take heart...there are unsung heroes in this world...those who go unnoticed and who embody goodness. I am sure you know such people. They are special and not many. Know how blessed you are having a spiritual dimension to your life...God bless you and keep you well and safe

Environment Stories & Memoirs: NAPOWRIMO--2024- A POEM A DAY ---30 POEMS IN 30 DA...

Environment Stories & Memoirs: NAPOWRIMO--2024- A POEM A DAY ---30 POEMS IN 30 DA... :    Today, we’d like to challenge you to write yo...